Dogs return home from walk stoned

Two weeks ago after taking our two dogs for their usual morning walk in Shawnigan Lake, Brixton showed very unusual behaviour.

Two weeks ago after taking our two dogs for their usual morning walk in Shawnigan Lake, Brixton showed very unusual behaviour. He is our three-year-old Boston terrier. The other pup is Honey, a four-month-old Boston, and she is a foster doggie (today).

Both dogs laid down on the rug when they arrived home. Usually, they are lively and happy after their exercise.

Brix appeared to have been poisoned.

He was rushed to the vet who took one look in his eyes and stated that the dog was stoned!

Marijuana apparently was the culprit.

Upon returning home, Honey showed the same symptoms.

Both dogs recovered after a sound sleep.

When we walk the dogs, they are leashed and allowed to be dogs, since it is their walk, not ours.

The veterinarian was right and said that this is quite a common occurrence around here. Most likely a discarded joint butt, or a plant growing in the ditch, was the cause.

A friend had her two dogs show opposite behaviour (hyper and restless) after ingesting some mushrooms.

Apparently this is harvest time for the pot crop, so it is ripe and doesn’t take a lot to affect small dogs — 25 and 16 pounds of healthy energy.

What a surprise (and a mean trick), if that is what happened. Good thing it wasn’t a little kid.

 

Fred Buchan

Shawnigan Lake