• Come and hear the Unchanging Gospel Message Told in Simplicity Sundays, 3-4 p.m., Sept. 18-Nov. 20, reception room, Wallace Funeral home, 5285 Polkey Rd., Duncan. No collections, obligations, nondenominational.
• Free canning class, Sept. 28, 1-4 p.m., Cowichan Neighbourhood House, with instructor Ruth Fenner, Women’s Institute. Canning veggies and fruit. Take home what you make. Register: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Canadian Firearm Safety course (PAL & RPAL) Sept. 30, Duncan. Info and registration: Mike 250-715-8052 or email email@example.com
• Personal Cyber Defence is the subject as Certified Information Systems Auditor Michael Fountain will offer practical advice on how to protect your personal identity and property in the current digital age. Please pre-register at the South Cowichan Library (Mill Bay Centre) at Mill Bay Centre.
It all happens on Saturday, Oct. 1, from 11 a.m. to noon. Phone: 250-743-5436
• Cowichan Valley Naturalists Coffee House, Monday, Oct. 3, 9:30 a.m., Freshwater EcoCentre, 1080 Wharncliffe. Presenter: Bill Merilees on Stalking Molluscan Diversity. Bring a cup for tea or coffee.
• Annual Fleece and Fibre Festival at Cobble Hill Community Hall, Saturday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Handwoven, knitted and felted clothing, bags, mitts, hats, scarves and socks, handspun and hand-dyed yarn and more. Lunch available. Info: www.cowichanfleeceandfibre festival.com
• Cowichan Neighbourhood House Association United Way fundraiser with music, food and silent auction, Oct. 21, 7 p.m., Chemainus United Church.
• Mill Bay Carpet Bowling Group meets every Wednesday, 1 p.m., Mill Bay Community League Hall, beside Kerry Park Arena. Info: Jim 250-743-5189 or Pauline 250-733-9886.
• Cowichan Intercultural Society presents Art Healing Series, Wednesdays, 2-3:30 p.m., Mill Bay Library. Info: Francoise firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-748-3112.
• Interested in rocks? The Cowichan Valley Rockhounds meet the third Monday of each month, 7 p.m., Duncan Airport. Info: 250-743-3769.
• Beginners meditation, Wednesdays, 6:30-7 p.m., regular meditation, 7-8 p.m. Info: email email@example.com or 250-710-7594.
• Drop in table tennis, Monday and Thursday, 7-9 p.m., Queen of Angels School. Drop in fee $3. Info: Frank 250-748-0566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Duncan Seniors Curling (age 50+) welcomes new members, all skill levels, daytime curling. Beginners welcome. Mondays and Wednesdays starting Oct. 3. Info: Rick 250-746-4626.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Oct. 8, pancake breakfast, 9-10:30 a.m., $5.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Oct. 15, birthday party pot luck dinner, bar and entertainment, 5-8 p.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Oct. 19 soup and sandwich, 11;30 a.m.-1 p.m., $6. Entertainment: The Chemainus Band.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Oct. 19, blood pressure clinic, 9:30-11 a.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Oct. 31 flue shot clinic in main hall, 9-11 a.m.
• Cowichan Seniors Community Foundation welcomes volunteers of all ages to provide regular meal service to seniors or random acts of kindness by driving seniors to medical visits. Registration, info: 250-715-6481.
• Valley Seniors Duncan, dance and social every Wednesday, 3-5 p.m., dance to ‘50s and ‘60s music, first time attendees are free. Info: Ron 250-743-7821.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre muffin mornings Wednesdays and Fridays 9:30-11 a.m.; Bingo every Monday, doors open at 4:45 p.m. starts at 6:40 p.m. Loonie Pot, G-Ball, Bonanza, & 50/50 draw.
• Lake Cowichan’s air-conditioned 50 Plus Activity Centre open 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Bridge, canasta, cribbage, shuffleboard, pool, line dancing, music. Exercises 9:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Bingo for over 19 Wednesday, 1 p.m. and Sunday, 7 p.m. Kitchen serves home-made lunches, 11 a.m.-1:15 p.m., weekly specials. Banquets, bazaars and bus trips organized throughout the year. More volunteers wanted. Info: 250-749-6121.
• Valley Seniors Activity Centre, 198 Government St., Duncan open 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday to Friday, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. $20 per year. Carpet bowling, cribbage, billiards crafts, bridge, choir, bus trips on our own bus. Live music Mondays and Wednesdays 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dances every 1st and 3rd Saturday evening 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Open to public for Bingo each Tuesday. Many special events throughout the year. Check out Monthly Newsletter at valley-seniors.org and consider membership if you’re 55 years or older. Info: 250-746-4433.Info: 250-746-4433 or www.valley-seniors.org
• Cowichan Toastmasters Club 950 meets every Wednesday, 7-9 p.m., Island Savings Centre board room.
• Are you concerned about someone’s drinking? Call Alanon, 250-709-7733 (Milt) or 250-749-0134 (Brenda).
• Cowichan Toastmasters Club 950 meets Wednesdays, 7-9 p.m., Island Savings Centre board room.
• TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) non-profit, non-commercial affordable weight loss support organization meets weekly in the Cowichan Valley. Info: 1-800-932-8677 or www.tops.org
• Cowichan Family Caregivers Support Society support groups for all caregivers: fourth Thursday of the month, 1-2:30 p.m., Chemainus United Church; second Tuesday of the month, Ladysmith Resource Centre. Info: lisa@family caregiverssupport.org or 250-882-4411.
• Cowichan Valley Living With Cancer support group meetings last Wednesday of the month, 10:30 a.m.-noon, Canadian Cancer Society office, 394 Duncan St., Duncan. Anyone with cancer or those affected by cancer welcome. Info: 250-746-4134 or Heather 250-748-4381.
• Adult Child of Alcoholics and Dysfunctional Families (ACOA) meetings 107 Evans St., Duncan, Fridays, 7 p.m.
• Cowichan Valley Prostate Cancer Support Group meetings held the last Thursday of each month from 2-4 p.m. Cancer Society office, 394 Duncan St. Info: Gord Thomas 250-743-6960 or Brian King 250-748-5785.
• Is food a problem for you? Overeaters Anonymous is here to help. Meetings Sunday morning, Thursday evening. For meeting times call 250-746-9366 or go to www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/
•Cowichan Valley PROBUS Club meets 10:30 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Cowichan Golf Club.
• Duncan PROBUS Club meets 10 a.m. every third Tuesday of the month at the Cowichan Golf Club. Membership information: www.probusduncan.ca
• Silverbridge Toastmasters meets every Tuesday, Island Savings Rec. Centre, Duncan, noon to 1 p.m. Learn and improve public speaking and communications skills. Info: www.cowichantoastmasters.com
• The Diggers Club of Cowichan meets the second Wednesday of the month, Chemainus United Church, 7 p.m. Come meet other collectors and see and hear about collections. Refreshments served. Info: 250-748-5707.
• Maple Bay Painters fall exhibition “Captivating Cowichan”, Sept. 30-Oct. 1, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., St. Peter’s Church Hall, 5800 Church Rd., Duncan. Info: www.facebook.com/MaplBayPainters
• Chemainus Sketch Club, Wednesday, Oct. 12, 9:30 a.m. meet up at Fuller Lake Arena. Demo artist Joan Larson: techniques in pastel. Info: email@example.com
• Portals presents Printmakers Only Group 25th annual show and sale, Oct. 12-Nov. 1, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Portals is located in the Island Savings Centre.
• Chemainus Sketch Club, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. workshop with Linda Faulks: paper batik, Fuller Lake Arena. By registration only: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ladysmith Camera Club presents “Creating Seasonal Cards” with Bruce Whittington, author, naturalist, photographer and owner of Bayview Framing in Ladysmith. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 7 p.m., Hardwick Hall, High Street at 3rd Avenue, Ladysmith. Non-members $5 drop-in fee. Info: www.LadysmithCameraClub.com
• Chemainus Sketch Club, Wednesday, Oct. 26, 10 a.m.-2p.m. A tie and space to make art, Fuller Lake Arena. email@example.com