Edna Brown was the recipient of the prestigious President’s Award at the Golden Brush Awards dinner, held on April 2 at the Chemainus Theatre.
Sponsored by the Chemainus & District Chamber of Commerce, the awards are in recognition of excellence in the Chemainus, Crofton, Saltair and Thetis Island areas.
Brown was chosen to receive this year’s President’s Award in recognition of her 64 years of volunteer service in the Chemainus area, particularly to the Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop.
Brown started volunteering with the Chemainus Hospital Auxiliary in 1952 and, during her time with the organization, she has held the positions of president, treasurer and recording secretary.
As well as management responsibilities, Brown has sewn countless numbers of hospital gowns and bed linens, created costumes and culinary delights contributing many hours to a range of fundraising activities.
Currently, as well as taking regular shifts at the thrift shop’s cash register and in the warehouse, Brown also applies her strategic planning and organizational skills to the revamping of auxiliary bylaws, policies and procedures.
“Her knowledge of the community, leadership, advice and mentoring are invaluable and so respected and appreciated,” the chamber said in a statement.
“To say the least, Edna is one of our most valuable community members and we are so fortunate that she chose to live in Chemainus and generously share her talents with us.”
Other award winners are:
• Good Neighbour Award: Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop.
• Business Booster Award: Beyond the Usual.
• Attractive Businesses: Hansel & Gretel Candy Co.
• Beautiful Streetscape: Bound to be Different and The Art of Second Hand/Beloved Stained Glass.
• Senior Supporter Business: 49th Parallel Grocery.
• Youth Mentor Business: Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop.
• Best Customer Service: Lulu Vegh, Chemainus Health Food Store.
• Volunteer of the Year: Mike Beggs.