• Cowichan Independent Living outdoor market Fridays until Sept. 25, 4-7 p.m. in the ballfields by Vancouver Island University, 2003 University Way.
• Canadian Firearm Safety Course (non-restricted and restricted) starting Friday, Sept. 18, Duncan. Info and registration: Mike 250-748-0319 or canadianfirearm firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cowichan Valley Heritage Quilters 25th Anniversary Open House and Tea, Monday, Sept. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., St. Peter’s Church Hall, Duncan.
• Living with Stroke, eight-week interactive program to help stroke survivors and caregivers, Oct. 2-Nov. 20, Fridays 10 a.m.-12 p.m., Duncan library. Register: 1-888-473-4636.
• Women invited to life-transforming 2015 Women of Faith conference: Loved – the Farewell Tour, Friday, Oct. 2, 6:30 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 3, 9 a.m., New Life Church, Duncan. $25 (includes meals). Register: 222.newlifechurch.ca/register
• Prevost Veterinary Clinic open house Wednesday, Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m., to celebrate Animal Health Week. Learn about pet welfare, socialization, dentistry, nutrition, guided tours, scavenger hunt, face painting. Leave pets at home. Location: 1057 Canada Ave., Duncan.
• Saturday, Sept. 26 Fall Potluck and Games Night, 50 Plus Activity Centre, Lake Cowichan. Doors open 4 p.m., bring a dish to share. Play cards, pool, darts, shuffleboard, or bring $10 gift to play bandit bingo. Door prizes. Non-member welcome — phone ahead if you wish to attend 250-749-6121.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre pancake breakfast Saturday, Oct. 10, 9-11 a.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre pot luck birthday party Saturday, Oct. 17, 5-8 p.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre soup and sandwich Wednesday, Oct. 21, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre blood pressure clinic Wednesday, Oct. 21, 9:30-11 a.m.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre Halloween Dinner and Dance, Oct. 31, 6-10:30 p.m., tickets $20, on sale starting Oct. 1 at the centre, Tuesday-Friday, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Info: 250-924-4865.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre muffin mornings Wednesdays and Fridays 9:30-11 a.m. except Wednesday, Oct. 21.
• Dance to music from the 50s and 60s at Valley Seniors Centre, 198 Government St., every Wednesday, 3-5 p.m., $5. Info: 250-746-4433.
• Chemainus Seniors Drop-in Centre — Bingo every Monday, doors open at 5 p.m. starts at 6 p.m. Loonie Pot, G-Ball, Bonanza, & 50/50 draw. Everyone Welcome.
• Lake Cowichan’s air-conditionded 50 Plus Activity Centre open 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Bridge, canasta, cribbage, shuffleboard, pool, line dancing, music. Exercises 9:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Bingo for over 19 Wednesday, 1 p.m. and Sunday, 7 p.m. Kitchen serves home-made lunches, 11 a.m.-1:15 p.m., weekly specials. Banquets, bazaars and bus trips organized throughout the year. More volunteers wanted. Info: 250-749-6121.
• Valley Seniors Activity Centre, 198 Government St., Duncan open 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday to Friday, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. $20 per year. Carpet bowling, cribbage, billiards crafts, bridge, choir, bus trips on our own bus. Live music Mondays and Wednesdays 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dances every 1st and 3rd Saturday evening 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Open to public for Bingo each Tuesday. Many special events throughout the year. Check out Monthly Newsletter at valley-seniors.org and consider membership if you’re 55 years or older. Info: 250-746-4433.Info: 250-746-4433 or www.valley-seniors.org
• Cowichan Kayak and Canoe Club meetings second Tuesday each month except July and August, 7:30 p.m., socializing time 7-7:30 p.m., Seniors Activity Centre, Duncan. Next meeting Oct. 13. Refreshments provided. Info: cowichankayakandcanoe.wordpress.com
• Youth rowing program, Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre, for ages 10-14. Get some rowing experience with summer staff Thursdays 4-6 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m.-noon. $10 drop-in fee, call ahead to reserve a place: 250-746-4955.
• All-ages chess club: all skill levels and ages welcome to play and learn chess in supportive, fun environment. Mondays 6-8 p.m., Duncan library gathering place or available tables.
• Cowichan Fly Fishers meets 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month at the Air Cadet Hall, Gibbins Road. Doors open 7 p.m. Open to all ages and skill levels. Info: www.cowichanflyfishers.com
• Seniors Dragon Boating, Monday and Thursday mornings 9:30 a.m., Hecate Park. Info: email@example.com
• Alpha at Duncan Christian Reformed Church, dinner and conversation, ask anything about life, faith and God, Thursdays, Sept. 24-Nov. 19, info: 250-748-2122 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• October meeting of the Cowichan Valley Arthritis Support Group Monday, Oct. 5, 1 p.m., St. John’s Church Hall, 486 Jubilee St., Duncan. Speaker: Lifeline on their safety service.
• Cowichan Historical Society meeting Oct. 15, 7:30 p.m., St. Peter’s Church hall, Duncan. Speaker: Bill Wilson on history of soda water manufacturers.
• Is food a problem for you? Overeaters Anonymous is here to help. Meetings Sunday morning, Thursday evening. For meeting times call 250-746-9366 or go to www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/
• Duncan PROBUS Club meets 10 a.m. every third Tuesday of the month at the Cowichan Golf Club. Membership information: www.probusduncan.ca
• Cowichan Valley Performing Arts Foundation holding AGM Monday, Sept. 28, 7:30 p.m., Queen Margaret’s School. CVPAF is a registered non-profit to provide funding to low-income families with children ages 18 and under wanting to participate in performing arts activities such as dance, acting and music lessons.
• Cherry Point artists weekly painting sessions (September to June), Thursdays, 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Cowichan Exhibition fairgrounds. Experienced and beginners welcome. Info: Jack 250-746-4795 or Linda 250-597-1108.
• Warmland Calligraphers meet on the second Tuesday of the month at 9 a.m.-noon, Mellor Hall, Cowichan Exhibition grounds. Info: email@example.com or http://members.shaw.ca/warmlandcalligraphers.
• Cowichan Valley Artisans year round studio tour: 14 professional studios to explore. From Mill Bay to Ladysmith. Www.cowichanvalleyartisans.com for details of each studio’s hours. Admission free.
• Enjoy ‘Ways of Writing’ – short stories, memoirs, poems – Wednesdays, 12:24-3 p.m. at the Seniors Centre in Lake Cowichan. More info: 250-749-4176.
• Tzouhalem Spinners and Weavers Guild meets the second and fourth Tuesday of each month, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., St. Peter’s Anglican Church, 5800 Church Rd., Duncan. Everyone welcome. Info: www.tswguild.wordpress.com or Alison 250-746-6330.
• Basics of Soapstone Carving. The one-day course includes the soapstone, use of tools, approximately eight hours of learning, and you will take home your carved soapstone work. Shorter and advanced courses available. Courses usually run on one of the weekdays and Sundays. Call Brian or Linda 250-743-4155. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cowichan Valley Heritage Quilters meet Mondays at St. Peter’s Church Hall, Maple Bay Road, Duncan, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. $1.50 drop-in charge, $10 annual membership. All skill levels accepted. New members welcome. Info: Darlene 250-748-9738.
• Valley Writers meet alternate Monday mornings to share their works and improve their skills. New members welcome. Call Stephen Watson 250-746-7637.
• Inviting female voices, teens to seniors, for The Rivernotes Choir, meets Mondays, 6-8 p.m., Lake Cowichan Senior Centre, 55 Coronation St. Info: Judith Quinlan 250-749-3728.
• Like to sing? Join Medford Singers. Rehearsals Wednesdays, 6:45 p.m., Duncan United Church. Men welcome. Director Simon Leung. Info: Michele 250-748-0287.
• Encore! Women’s Choir meets Monday evenings, Duncan. Seeking motivated women ages 18-plus who read music and enjoy singing repertoire that is challenging, yet fun! Info: Christine Dandy, 250-715-1568.
• Cowichan Consort Orchestra rehearsal Mondays, 7:30 p.m. Sylvan United Church. Come play with us. All strings welcome. Info: 748-8982.
• Cowichan Consort Choir Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m., Sylvan United Church. Come sing with us. Info: 743-7445.
• Enjoy a jam of old time music every second Thursday at Twisted Sisters Tearoom, 9885 Maple Street, Chemainus. Info: Steve Heizer at 250-722-3115 or Peter Sussman 250-929-8226.
• Chemainus Seniors Centre choirs: Men’s Choir, Mondays, 9-10:30 a.m., Ladies Choir, Mondays, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., mixed choir, Fridays, 10-11:45 a.m.
• Jubilate Choir rehearses Monday nights 7:30 -9 p.m., St. John’s Anglican Church Hall, Duncan. Early and contemporary sacred songs, Eastern European, African songs and more. New members welcome. Info: 250-701-0687.
• Cowichan Valley Music Teachers Association meets monthly for fellowship and professional development. Info: 250-748-8196, www.cowichanmusicteachers.com
• St. Michael’s Presents Classical Concert Series 2010-11, monthly concerts October-June. Brochures and season tickets now available. Info: 250-748-8383 or www.smp concerts.ca
• BRATZ Music Jam Sunday evenings 9 p.m. to midnight at Roadhouse Pub, Grand Motel, Duncan. Bring your instruments or your ears. No cover. Info: 250-715-8115.
• Traditional Square Dances: come and dance with us to live music by Shady Grove Dance Band first Friday of every month. No experience or partner needed. Ages 12 and up, $5, at The Hub, Cowichan Station. Info: Peter 250-929-8226.
• Learn to square dance. Lessons at Girl Guide Hall, 321 Cairnsmore St., Duncan. Info: 250-748-6056 or 250-748-9140.
• Cowichan Valley International Folkdancers meet Mondays, 7:30-9:30 p.m., Mill Bay Community Hall, beside Kerry Park Arena. $5 drop-in fee, $80 yearly membership. First night free. Call Kate 250-743-5068 or Lyn 250-743-2686.
• Cowichan Valley Scottish Country Dancers, 6:30 p.m. every Thursday at Chemainus Seniors Centre. Singles and couples welcome.
• Cape Breton Stepdancing Classes, Wednesdays, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Yum Yoga Studio-1701 Pavenham. Info email@example.com or 250-709-9662.
• Argentine Tango Classes: Teens through Seniors. No partner required. For schedule call 250-743-5995.
• Belly dance classes. Call Lynene 250-746-1077. Beginner to advanced.