Mike Wilson – candidate for regional director, Area C, Cobble Hill
• WHAT DO I BELIEVE IN?
• WHAT WILL I STRIVE FOR?
The decisions made by local government directly impact our community and our quality of life and past boards have viewed their constituents, not as a community to be served, but as a limitless resource.
Historical tax increases at all levels have been well above the rate of inflation and fiscal prudence is a must for our elected representatives if fixed or low income, vulnerable or at-risk members of our community are going to be able to remain comfortably in their family homes.
• I WILL use my business experience to promote financial responsibility in the board’s budgeting process.
• I WILL respect taxpayers and their ability to pay when reviewing and approving the budget.
• I WILL provide honest, open, accountable area governance and responsive communication to address resident’s concerns.
• I WILL listen with care, consult regularly and work with residents to ensure the best possible decisions are made for our community.
• I WILL ensure that my vision matches the community’s needs and is one that residents’ and taxpayers support.
• I AM a strong supporter of all businesses that provide employment throughout our community.
• I BELIEVE that the board should not support expanding services into areas that are already funded or administered provincially or federally.
• I BELIEVE that the concerns that we all share regarding the changing environment, particularly the water we drink and the air we breathe are of immeasurable concern to all residents.
• I WILL work closely with ALL stakeholders in the community should situations occur that impact our delicate environmental and ecological balance, in order to find a solution.
• I WILL address these important issues for you, the residents of Cobble Hill.
I volunteer for the Salvation Army Christmas Kettle Campaign and for the South Cowichan Community Policing (Friendly Phones).
I am a member of the Area C, the Cobble Hill Advisory Planning Commission, the Rotary Club of South Cowichan, the Shawnigan Cobble Hill Farmers Institute and Agriculture Society and the Cobble Hill Association of Taxpayers.
I am married to Barbara, a State Registered Nurse (UK) and we have two children and five grandchildren. Barbara and I and our children immigrated to Canada from England in 1993. We lived in Sidney until we moved to our Cobble Hill home in 1999.
My career in the British Merchant Service began with P&O Cruises as Radio/Electronics Officer after which I transferred to Cable and Wireless, Marine Division where I attained the rank of Chief Cable Engineer, Digital Fibre Optics. As an integral part of my career and professional progression I have been trained in budgeting, contracts, negotiation, planning, financial accountability and public relations.
I formed Pacific International Cable Consulting Inc. in 1999 and my services have been involved in planning, installation and maintenance of transoceanic long and short-haul, high-capacity, digital fibre optic systems from conception to in-service completion.
If you would like to know more or would like to assist in my campaign in Cobble Hill, please contact me through my website at:
Cell: 250-701 7474
I am Mike Wilson and I want your vote