Supporters showed up at the courthouse in Port Alberni for the schedule appearance of a woman and her partner charged with assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement on Jan. 11, 2019. (Susie Quinn/Alberni Valley News)

B.C. parents get conditional discharge in assault of child-luring suspect

Couple and family friend were alleged to have captured a man who planned to have sex with daughter

A Port Alberni mother and stepfather pleaded guilty on Friday to assault in a suspected child-luring case involving their 13-year-old daughter.

The couple and a family friend had been accused of assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement. They were alleged to have beaten and tied up a man who had come to the couple’s home to allegedly have sex with their 13-year-old daughter.

READ MORE: Vancouver Island parents charged for capture of child luring suspect

A publication ban was put in place to protect the girl’s identity.

The mother and stepfather originally pleaded not guilty on Jan. 2, but changed their pleas on Friday in provincial court in Port Alberni. The girl’s mother pleaded to a lesser charge of common assault, while the stepfather pleaded to one charge of assault causing bodily harm.

The family friend also pleaded guilty to one count assault causing bodily harm.

Charges of unlawful confinement were stayed for all three.

All were given conditional discharges of six to 12 months, meaning if they follows certain conditions, they won’t have a criminal record for the matter once their sentences are up.

The assaults occurred last April, when RCMP were called to a disturbance in the 3600-block of Bruce Street and discovered a 28-year-old man injured and secured with zap-straps.

The man, who is the subject of an ongoing child-luring investigation, had allegedly come to the home to meet and have sex with a 13-year-old girl, according to the girl’s mother.

RCMP have said the man has not been charged, and that the incident is “still under investigation.” Crown counsel confirmed there are no charges against the suspect.

In presenting the sentences, Justice Ronald Lamperson cautioned people against vigilante justice.

“We don’t in Canadian society condone vigilante justice,” he said. “That message should be clear to the community.”

A small group of supporters sitting in the courtroom clapped after the judge sentenced the mother and stepfather.

Maureen Kelly was one of many who arrived early outside the courthouse to hold a sign in protest of the charges, even though she doesn’t know the people involved.

“Maybe it wasn’t right what they did, but they were left with little choice,” Kelly said before going inside to listen to proceedings. “How else are you supposed to protect your children?”

Natasha Geddes also went to the courthouse in support of the parents. “I think it’s disgusting. Maybe what the parents did wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t think there’s anything else they could have done.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Drivesmart column: The registered owner is responsible

Have you ever stopped to consider the risk involved in handing your keys over to someone else?

Aquatic Centre renovations starting soon

More space promised for crowded fitness and aquatic areas

Mary Lowther column: Nutrition in our food on the decline

When crops don’t contain the minerals they need, they cannot provide other nutrients we depend on.

Sarah Simpson column: Bigger isn’t always better

One item there was a two-foot-tall candy cane.

Void of summer events going to be felt in Chemainus

CBIA cancels Classics Car Show and Canada Day celebrations

QUIZ: Test your knowledge of the world of summer sports

In a typical year, there are plenty of summer sporting events and tournaments held across Canada

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

PHOTOS: U.S. cities brace for increasing unrest over police killing of George Floyd

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz has fully mobilized the state’s National Guard

Most Read