A boil water advisory has been issued the Chemainus water system.
The advisory is being issued by the Municipality of North Cowichan in consultation with Island Health due to turbidity levels that they say could pose a risk to public health.
Chemainus water users should boil their water for at least one minute before using it for domestic purposes (e.g. drinking, cooking, brushing teeth). It is still safe to wash clothes and bathe in water without boiling it.
This boil water advisory is in place until further notice. Signs are being posted around Chemainus to notify residents about this advisory. North Cowichan will provide updates to media and the community as soon as additional information becomes available or the advisory is lifted.
For tips and updates on the status of the boil water advisory:
• Visit www.northcowichan.ca
• See Island Health’s list of current boil water notices AND a guide for what to do during a boil water advisory: www.viha.ca/mho/water/boil_water/
• Call North Cowichan’s operations information line at 250-746-3106
• Call Island Health at 250-737-2010
• Monitor local radio, television, and newspapers
• Watch for updates on public bulletin boards and community mailboxes