Busy week for Cowichan Valley fire crews

Fire crews in the Cowichan Valley were kept busy late last week and over the weekend as several structure fires erupted, including some related to the windy weather and resulting power outages.

Last Friday, around 8 p.m., Cowichan Bay and Mill Bay volunteer firefighters attended a blaze on Cherry Point Road, where a twostorey log home caught fire. The man in the house got out safely. Early reports indicated that the fire was caused by a candle. The home sustained extensive smoke damage but is believed to be salvageable.

Duncan and Cowichan Bay fire crews responded on Saturday morning to a fire in a woodworking shop on Doupe Road. A woman walking her dog spotted the flames and alerted a tenant on the property who called 911. By the time fire crews arrived, it was too late to save the shop, so efforts focused on saving other buildings on the property.

That night, Duncan crews were also called to a house fire on Hykawy Road. The fire was contained to the kitchen, and one occupant was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.