The tents at the two remaining tent sites for the homeless in the Cowichan region are coming down and will be replaced by small wooden cabins. (File photo)

The tents at the two remaining tent sites for the homeless in the Cowichan region are coming down and will be replaced by small wooden cabins. (File photo)

Cabins to go in at tenting sites for homeless in Duncan Friday

A total of 39 cabins are to be placed at two sites

The first six wooden structures to house occupants of the temporary homeless tenting sites in the Cowichan region will be put in place on Friday, Jan. 9.

The eight-by-eight structures, called sleeping cabins, will be set up to replace the tents at the tenting site at a city-owned lot on St. Julien Street in Duncan that people have been living in for months.

On Monday, seven more of the cabins, which are insulated and have baseboard heating, will be delivered to the site, and plans are in place for another 26 of the cabins to be set up at the tenting site on Government Street known as “The Mound”, which is owned by Cowichan Tribes, soon afterwards.

RELATED STORY: DUNCAN TENT SITES FOR THE HOMELESS TO BE WINTERIZED

John Horn, co-chair of the COVID-19 Vulnerable Population Cowichan Task Force, said a federal grant of $310,000 from the Reaching Home Program, designed to help homeless people during the COVID-19 pandemic, is paying for the installation and construction of the cabins, which is taking place in a warehouse in Chemainus.

“There will be a total of 39 cabins on those two sites,” Horn said.

“The occupants of the tent sites had a pretty cold and wet Christmas, and a couple of the tents collapsed under the weight of snow that we had [on Dec. 21]. All we could do was give them Christmas dinner and try our best to give them as much support as we could. We told them to hang in there because better days were coming soon [with the cabins].”

BC Housing and a number of other organizations announced last May that they would provide funding for the Cowichan Task Force to create temporary accommodations for the homeless in the Valley for 30 days during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.

RELATED STORY: SHORT-TERM PLAN IN PLACE FOR COWICHAN VALLEY’S HOMELESS DURING COVID-19 CRISIS

BC Housing has extended the funding to keep the sites running a number of times since then, with the current deadline scheduled for the end of March.

Originally, there were five tenting sites across the Cowichan Valley, but Horn said there are now only two, the ones where the cabins will be set up, currently in operation.

In the fall, with winter approaching, the task force began looking for funding to winterize the sites, and Ottawa stepped up with the funding for the cabins.

Horn said one of the 13 cabins at the St. Julien Street site will be set aside for use by outreach workers, staff from Island Health and security personnel.

RELATED STORY: COVID-19 COWICHAN HOMELESS PLAN GETS FINANCIAL BACKING

“We are splitting the site at The Mound into two that will have 13 cabins each,” he said.

“One of those sites will be designated for young adults between 19 and 24 after outreach workers determined there are a high number of people in the age group in the community that have nowhere to go, while the other site will be for older individuals. Cowichan Tribes has also opened a seasonal emergency youth homeless shelter for those under the age of 19.”

Horn said two of the 26 cabins at The Mound will also be used by support staff and workers.

He said while the Cowichan Task Force has the funding in place to keep the sites running until March 31, there are still expected to be a number of months that need to be covered before the approximately 100 supportive housing units that are planned for people experiencing, or at risk of homelessness in the Cowichan Valley are in place, which is not expected until June or July.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Homeless

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

North Cowichan is looking for public input through a survey as it updates its Master Transportation Plan. (File photo)
North Cowichan looking for public input on transportation

Online survey to be held until April 22

West Shore RCMP arrested a 42-year-old man April 11 following numerous reports of someone firing a rifle in a Malahat campground. (Courtesy of West Shore RCMP)
West Shore RCMP arrest man after shots fired at Malahat campground

Police received numerous reports of a man firing a rifle outside his camper trailer

Dave Kral, owner of the Cobblestone Inn in Cobble Hill, and his staff are frustrated with the new health restrictions banning indoor dining at restaurants in B.C. (Robert Barron/Citizen)
Cowichan Valley restaurants try to survive with new restrictions

Dining rooms ordered to close for three weeks as COVID-19 cases surge

Restaurant patrons enjoy the weather on a patio in Vancouver, B.C., Monday, April 5, 2021. The province has restricted indoor dining at all restaurants in B.C. due to a spike in COVID-19 numbers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C.’s COVID-19 indoor dining, drinking ban extending into May

Restaurant association says patio rules to be clarified

Two men were seen removing red dresses alongside the Island Highway in Oyster Bay. (Submitted photo)
Two men filmed removing red dresses from trees on highway near Ladysmith

Activists hung the dresses to raise awareness for Vancouver Island’s Murdered/Missing Women & Girls

B.C. Premier John Horgan speaks at the B.C. legislature. (B.C. government)
Tougher COVID-19 restrictions in B.C., including travel, still ‘on the table’: Horgan

John Horgan says travel restrictions will be discussed Wednesday by the provincial cabinet

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

RCMP on scene yesterday at the altercation at the trailer park. (Submitted photo)
Violent altercation at Port Hardy trailer park sends one to hospital

Police say man confronted another over airsoft shooting, then was attacked with a weapon

John Albert Buchanan was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2017 death of Richard Sitar. Pictured here, Buchanan walking to the court in Nanaimo last year. (Karl Yu/News Bulletin)
Six years including time served for Nanaimo man in bludgeoning death

John Albert Buchanan sentenced in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo for death of Richard Sitar

Protesters occupied a road leading to Fairy Creek Watershed near Port Renfrew. (Submitted photo)
B.C. First Nation says logging activist interference not welcome at Fairy Creek

Vancouver Island’s Pacheedaht concerned about increasing polarization over forestry activities

Flow Academy is not accepting membership applications from anybody who has received a dose of the vaccine, according to a password-protected membership application form. (Submitted image)
B.C. martial arts gym refusing patrons who have been vaccinated, wear masks

Interior Health has already issued a ticket to Flow Academy for non-compliance with public health orders

Guinevere, lovingly referred to by Jackee Sullivan and her family as Gwenny, is in need of a gynecological surgery. The family is raising money to help offset the cost of the procedure. (Jackee Sullivan/Special to Langley Advance Times)
Langley lizard’s owners raise funds for gynecological surgery

The young reptile is scheduled for operation on Tuesday

Most Read