Call for barriers renewed

A Cowichan Valley mother is renewing her call to increase safety on the Malahat

A Cowichan Valley mother is renewing her call to increase safety on the Malahat after yet another fatal accident on the heavily used highway last week.

Chelsey Dollman runs the Facebook page “Malahat Drive-The accidents have to stop” but her efforts don’t stop at web page administration.

Dollman was front and centre, pushing the provincial government prior to its decision to introduce a two-phased barrier project on half of the Malahat.

She’s remained vocal ever since.

While the province says that work is now complete, Dollman argues the latest death of 33-year-old Saanich man David Paulin last week highlights the need for continued improvements.

“That accident could have been not an accident, or a very minor one if there were barriers there,” she said. “I think we need to continue on with what we’ve been doing otherwise we’re leaving the job half done. It’s really sad to me that unfortunately it takes a tragedy again for them to hopefully open up their eyes. I wish it didn’t take that. I wish they would be proactive instead of reactive.”

Dollman has reached out to MP Alistair MacGregor in the hopes he might be able to help.

“My hope is that if I can get Mr. MacGregor on board with me then we can, together, keep pushing and work on getting those barriers,” she said.

“I need somebody on my side that’s as passionate about this as I am because it’s a big issue and it’s just tragic to me that this road continues to kill people whether they’re bad drivers or not. The innocent people are usually the ones who end up on the bad side.”

Some people on her Facebook page blame the drivers, not the road, she admitted.

Dollman doesn’t deny driving behaviour plays a role in many of the crashes.

“I’m not denying that there are bad drivers out there, but unfortunately if we just keep saying it’s the drivers and don’t do anything about the road, we’re really missing the mark,” she said. “I would like to stop bad drivers too but I’d also like a million dollars, too, but it’s not going to happen so let’s work with what we have.”

Last week Transportation Minister Todd Stone told the Times Colonist more barriers are on the way. “My hope would be that we would be able to move forward with the installation of more barriers certainly within the next year. The vast majority of what’s left on the Malahat we think is a good candidate for median barrier, and we’re going to put median barrier down as fast as we can.”

Dollman hopes he keeps his word.

Just Posted

Business notes: Realtor steps up to sponsor young dancers

Christine Ryan, a Realtor with Sotheby’s International Realty, knows what it takes… Continue reading

Cowichan Valley Capitals open their 2019 training camp

The Caps are back. The Cowichan Valley Capitals opened their fall training… Continue reading

Indigenous voices to take centre stage at Cowichan Valley festival

From Sept. 7-8, you can listen to Indigenous voices at third annual Koksilah Music Festival

MacDowell rugby camp coming to Cowichan next week

Six Canadian senior rugby sevens players and six U20 players will be… Continue reading

Woman thought she’d die trapped in her backyard shed

Jessica McCauley kept her cool and worked her way out

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

B.C. father tells judge he did not kill his young daughters

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read