A safety officer monitors levels of carbon monoxide near a fireplace. (Photo by Paul Joseph)

Carbon monoxide poisoning incident brings dangers of the gas to light

Chemainus adult and child go to hospital for treatment

A case of carbon monoxide poisoning in Chemainus last Tuesday in the midst of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week Nov. 1-7 comes as a stark reminder about the dangers of the colourless, odorless and tasteless flammable gas.

An adult and child went to hospital for treatment to their carbon monoxide exposure. They were fortunate not to require transport by ambulance and the symptoms were not believed to be serious.

But Laura McLeod, a Communications Business Partner with Technical Safety BC based in Nanaimo, indicated the BC Coroners Service reports there have been 119 carbon monoxide-related poisoning deaths in the province between 2008 and 2017.

McLeod said notification of the Chemainus incident was received from Fortis BC.

“In this case, we have learned the CO was likely caused by a malfunctioning gas fireplace,” she added.

It was unclear whether the fireplace had been serviced by the landlord at the rental property or someone else without a permit, but that was expected to be determined by a full incident investigation.

“Installation and maintenance of natural gas appliances in rental properties must be done by a licensed contractor, under the appropriate permit,” stressed McLeod. “The home also did not have a carbon monoxide detector which we recommend that everyone have, including renters.”

Plug-in varieties with battery back-up are available, she pointed out.

“We really recommend a tenant consider getting one of those, they’re very inexpensive,” said McLeod.

Technical Safety B.C. is the provincial regulator of gas safety in B.C. and observed the awareness week by passing along information about the risks of carbon monoxide exposure.

It’s a potentially deadly issue that people need to educate themselves about, McLeod stressed.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

It’s important to have gas-fueled appliances, including fireplaces, serviced regularly. (Photo by Paul Joseph)

Just Posted

Lexi Bainas column: Thanks for the memories: Lexi Bainas reflects on retirement

It’s been great but it’s time for the last waltz

Sonia Furstenau column: Proud of moving forward important issues over the last year

During the announcement, I reflected on the role my office played

Drivesmart column: The difficulty with stop signs

One wouldn’t think that stopping at a stop sign would be such a problem for drivers.

Duncan Christian hoops teams back in action with a busy month

Senior boys and girls play league and tournament games

Robert Barron column: Immigrants in the Cowichan Valley are an asset

If they are successful, the family would be a great addition to the Valley

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

Canada’s basketball community mourns Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash

Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star who won five championships

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

B.C. VIEWS: New coronavirus outbreak an important reminder

Walking the line between cautious and alarmist

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

Most Read