The Crown has still not decided what, if any, charges will be laid in the case of the stabbing death of a 44-year-old Duncan man on Sept. 14.
Corp. Krista Hobday, a spokeswoman for the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP detachment, said the investigation package is now before the Crown and it’s up to Crown lawyers whether charges in the case will be laid.
A spokeswoman for the Crown stated she had no information on when that decision will be made.
Officers from the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP detachment were called to a Duncan home at approximately 3:50 a.m. on Sept. 14 after a report that a man had been stabbed.
Police found the victim suffering from several stab wounds to the upper body.
The man was transported to Cowichan District Hospital in serious condition and later succumbed to his injuries.
A 46-year-old Duncan man who was in the house when the police arrived was taken into police custody, and the BC Coroners’ Office acknowledged at the time that the case is a “likely homicide”.
Hobday said it’s not unusual for the names of the suspect and victim of a crime to be unreleased so long after the fact.
“The victim’s name is usually only released if we feel it will further our investigation, and we usually only release the suspect’s name after charges have been laid,” she said.