Search teams were successful last weekend in locating a lost Duncan man.
Cowichan Search and Rescue was called out on Saturday evening, Nov. 21, just after 7 p.m. by the RCMP to help search for a 19-year-old man who has several medical conditions, and rescuers searched for him throughout the night.
Search manager Patty Abbott said the young man lives near McAdam Park in Duncan and enjoys walking the main trail alone or with his caregiver.
“On Saturday afternoon, he ventured out alone on some of the common trails that he knows well, but they had become flooded and he became disoriented when he tried to get around the flooding,” she said.
“He unfortunately found himself in a wooded area down river where he spent the night in a small shelter that had previously been constructed.”
Abbott said search and rescue teams from all over Vancouver Island had been requested to help the search on Sunday morning, Nov. 22.
Four SAR teams, made up of about 40 rescuers, responded to the call to help Cowichan SAR, RCMP officers and the police dog service unit that were already involved in the search.
She said they arrived at 6 a.m. and were quickly put to work searching.
“Fortunately, [the lost man] was spotted by a passerby [at around 9:15 a.m.] and quickly connected to a SAR team that was in the area searching for him,” Abbott said.
“Once back at the base, he was transferred to BC Ambulance. Search groups on the Island quite often get called in to help out. We are very fortunate to have a strong commitment to helping each other anywhere on the Islands and the mainland.”
A press release from the RCMP confirmed that the man was taken to hospital for assessment, and the police and Cowichan Valley Regional Victims Services notified the family that the man was rescued.
“We are relieved that this person was reunited safely with their family this weekend,” said Const. Jen Morgan, from the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP general investigative section.
“Thank you to our many partners and all members of the community who supported this search. The identity of the people involved will not be released in order to protect their privacy. Foul play was not involved and there was no risk to the public.”