Family Day fire in Sahtlam contained to garage

“…the carbon had gotten hot enough to actually start to burn like little barbecue briquettes.”

A fire on Carolyn Way in Sahtlam kept firefighters busy Monday afternoon.

The original call for the Sahtlam Fire Department went out about 4:30 p.m. and crews rushed to the single storey wood-framed structure to find smoke billowing out of the garage.

Not long thereafter a mutual aid request was sent to the Lake Cowichan department for water support.

“I wasn’t sure exactly what we were getting into. I wanted them there for backup for water, especially at the initial stage,” explained Sahtlam fire chief Randy Busch.

“Most of the fire calls that we get called to, because of the nature of our district, it’s usually quite involved by the time we get there so it needs a lot of water and attention right away.”

Fortunately, he said, this time that was not the case.

“It was sealed up fairly tight and it kept everything dampened down so when we got there it was smoke and a small fire inside that we were able to extinguish the main part of it fairly quickly,” Busch said.

Most of the time after that was spent checking for hot spots and extension of the fire.

With no hydrant nearby, firefighters were drawing water from the Cowichan River to replenish their tanks.

After a few hours spent at the home in the late afternoon, a crew was called back again later that evening.

“There was a rekindle,” Busch confirmed. “Part of the ventilation system has carbon filters and the carbon had gotten hot enough to actually start to burn like little barbecue briquettes.”

The home’s owners were still on site and called firefighters back.

Busch believes the fire was electrical in nature but is waiting on the investigation results for the official word.

“That’s my best guess,” he said. “We won’t really know until the investigation happens and we get down to the nitty gritty.”

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

“The people were home at the time and they called it in. They saw the smoke and everybody was out by the time we got there,” said the chief.

The home’s living space did have some smoke damage though.

“The residence part of the house, not the garage but the residence part, had a little bit of smoke go into it but no [fire] penetrated that side,” Busch confirmed.

Even so, the family will need a professional restoration company to clean and assess the home for habitability.



sarah.simpson@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Robert scores two as Caps double up Nanaimo

Cowichan knocks off Island rivals 4-2 on Friday night

International Guitar Night back in Duncan for incredible night of guitar showmanship

Guitarists celebrate 19 years of touring by returning to Cowichan

Former Chargers helping VIU teams to successful seasons

Groenendijk sisters team up with undefeated Mariners

‘Be Our Guest!’ say the Medford Singers, as they present two concerts

It’s Disney time in Duncan and Lake Cowichan as this enthusiastic choir sings songs from the movies

Bulldogs a big part of football bowl games

Five Cowichan Bulldogs midget football players helped Team BC to a come-from-behind win in ABC Bowl

VIDEO: U.S. Congress to probe whether Trump told lawyer Cohen to lie

At issue is a BuzzFeed News report that about negotiations over a Moscow real estate project

Coming up in Cowichan: Anti-pipeline meeting; women’s shelter open house

Public meeting in Duncan to support pipeline protests A public meeting has… Continue reading

Rookie Demko backstops Canucks to 4-3 win over Sabres

Young Vancouver goalie makes 36 saves to turn away Buffalo

Charges upgraded against mother of murdered B.C. girl

Kerryann Lewis now faces first- rather than second-degree murder in the death of Aaliyah Rosa.

UPDATE: Injured firefighter in stable condition

Kelowna fire crews responded to a blaze at Pope’sGallery of BC Art & Photography on Friday

Rare ‘super blood wolf moon’ takes to the skies this Sunday

Celestial event happens only three times this century

Arrest made after historic B.C. church hit by arson

The fire at the 150-year-old Murray United Church in Merritt was considered a possible hate crime

B.C. dangerous offender in court for violating no-contact order, sends letter to victim

Wayne Belleville was shocked to see a letter addressed to him from his shooter, Ronald Teneycke

Man blames his loud car radio, sirens for crash with B.C. ambulance

Tribunal rejects bid to recoup ICBC costs after crash deemed 100-per-cent his fault

Most Read