Fire engulfs home, two adults killed

Two people are dead after a fire devastated a home in Ladysmith early Saturday morning.

The fire, which started around 3:30 a.m., so engulfed a house on Pictou Road that firefighters were not able to rescue the two adults inside, who were likely asleep when the blaze started, according to Ladysmith Fire Chief Ray Delcourt.

Fire inspectors continue to investigate and believe it was an accident. No foul play is suspected.

Several people were at the scene on Sunday afternoon, where a charred skeleton of the home was still standing.

People laid bouquets of flowers beside police tape that was set up around the house’s perimeter.

At least one family member was present laying a memorial but declined comment other than to say it is a difficult time.

Delcourt said inspectors believe they know where the fire started but are still reviewing evidence.

"The house is completely gutted," he said.

"We think the fire started in the back area of the house but can’t pinpoint anything yet."

Both the B.C. Coroners Service and RCMP were on scene with fire inspectors on Saturday.

The bodies were removed from the home and the B.C. Coroners service continues to investigate.

The victims’ identities and ages have not yet been released.

Delcourt said the fire department knows now that there were no smoke detectors in the house.

"They didn’t have any, which is sad, because it could have made a difference," he said.

"There are a lot of people who don’t have smoke detectors and really need to start thinking about themselves and their families. Once a fire starts, you only have three to five minutes to get out of there."

Delcourt recommends that those with existing smoke detectors test them at least twice a year to be sure they are functioning.

It is often suggested that a good time to check them is at daylight savings, which was Sunday.

Delcourt said the Ladysmith Fire Department provides and installs smoke detectors for free, and they only cost about $10 to purchase.

"We have a concern. We talk about this quite a bit here and we’re trying out best to get people to put them in," he said.

"People can learn from these things. This horrible incident that happened on Saturday, maybe if they had working smoke detection, we could have just gone to the property and put the fire out."

Just Posted

Duncan’s Quamichan Lightning go to provincials

The result might not have been what they were hoping for, but… Continue reading

Cow High teams double down at Ross Cup

Cowichan Secondary School swept the junior and senior titles at the Ross… Continue reading

Cowichan’s Keserich honoured by Sport BC

“Mr. Soccer” in the Cowichan Valley, Bill Keserich has received another major… Continue reading

VIDEO: Can you believe it? This B.C. hill pulls cars backwards up a slope

Sir Isaac Newton had clearly never been to this Vernon anomaly when he discovered gravity

Paramedic staff shortage at critical level: B.C. union

A number of units were out of service due to lack of staffing in Lower Mainland, union says

B.C. lottery winner being sued by Surrey co-workers

They claim he owes them $200,000 each, in a lawsuit filed in B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver

BIG READ: The two sides of the Strait of Georgia roe herring fishery

The case for the Strait of Georgia roe herring fishery Comox fisherman,… Continue reading

Fraser Health under fire again for taxiing homeless man from Langley to Hope

Patient sent to Hope shelter because a spot in the man’s home community couldn’t be located

Dead sea lion discovered on Hornby Island shoreline

Reports indicate animal was shot in the head

Celina Caesar-Chavannes quits Liberal caucus, sits as independent MP

The Whitby, Ont., MP has been a vocal supporter of Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott

Island SPCA overwhelmed by 45 cats taken from Comox Valley property

Many of the cats will be transferred to branches in Nanaimo and Victoria

Woman punched on the sidelines of B.C. soccer game

Both involved were watching the U21 game in West Vancouver from the sidelines when things got heated

Most Read