The cause of a fire that destroyed a home on Khowutzun Crescent on Tuesday afternoon hasn’t yet been determined, but early indications offer no reason to think that the blaze was intentional.
"Our investigation so far, in conjunction with the fire department, leads us to believe that the fire is not suspicious in nature," North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Chris Swain said.
Firefighters and police were called to the home around 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, and the house was engulfed in flames by the time they arrived. Firefighters moved quickly, but the roof and walls of the south half of the home sustained massive damage. Smoke from the fire could be seen from several blocks away.
There were also concerns that lines supplying electricity to the home may have caught fire, and BC Hydro crews were dispatched to cut power to the home.
Although neighbouring houses never appeared to be threatened by the flames, initial reports suggested there may have been two buildings on fire, so the South End fire hall sought assistance from the Duncan department as well. About 20 South End firefighters and another 10 from Duncan responded.
"We were there probably two hours," South End fire chief Scott Henning said. "It was a quick knockdown. We got there fast and knocked it down."
According to witnesses, the house was home to a mother and two adult sons. No one was home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries.