High school students hospitalized after brawl in Nanaimo

At least 15 youths from two secondary schools were involved in a fight last week at baseball stadium

A brawl between students of two Nanaimo high schools resulted in injuries and is likely to result in charges.

At least 15 youths from two secondary schools were involved in a fight April 3 at about 1 p.m. at Serauxmen Stadium, according to a press release from Nanaimo RCMP. Several youths were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators believe the fight was provoked by social media comments.

“Understandably, with the number of youths involved, there were a number of investigative steps required to sort out what actually happened and who was responsible. Investigators are confident, however, several of the youths may face criminal charges for their role in the melee,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman.

Police wouldn’t confirm which schools the students attended, but noted that school admininstrators are aware of the incident.

“The district can confirm that an altercation between students from two of its schools occurred,” said Dale Burgos, Nanaimo-Ladysmith Public Schools spokesman, in an e-mail to the News Bulletin. “RCMP are currently investigating into the matter, therefore the district will not comment further.”

Anyone with information who has not yet spoken to police is asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345.

Just Posted

Robert Barron column: Lower speed limits could save lives

That’s annoying, but at the same time, I think it will save some lives.

Andrea Rondeau column: I’ll beg if I have to, to get you to vote

Please, please, please mail in your vote in the proportional representation election.

Sarah Simpson column: Cowichan sure knows when to step up to help

Shortly after my birthday last year I wrote a column about gifts.… Continue reading

Cowichan United seeing positives despite results

U21 team falls to Lakehill, but coaches see improvement

REPLAY: B.C’s best video this week

In case you missed it, here’s a look at the replay-worth highlights from this week across the province

NEB approves operating pressure increase to repaired Enbridge pipeline

The pipeline burst outside of Prince George on Oct. 9, now operating at 85 per cent

B.C. VIEWS: Setting speed limits in a post-fact environment

Media prefer ‘speed kills’ narrative, even when it fails to appear

Controversy erupts over Japanese flag in B.C. classroom

Online petition demanding removal has collected more than 5,700 signatures

Death toll rises to 76 in California fire with winds ahead

Nearly 1,300 people remain unaccounted for more than a week after the fire began

Trump says report on Khashoggi death expected in a few days

Jamal Khashoggi was a columnist for The Washington Post who was slain Oct. 2 inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

CUPW requests mediator as deadline for Canada Post offer expires without deal

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau weighed in Saturday night with a last-minute plea to the two sides

Trudeau says he won’t negotiate in public on future of LGBTQ rights in USMCA

Legislators urged Trump not to sign the agreement unless the language was removed.

Search for contaminant continues at Little Qualicum Cheeseworks

Island company ‘blown away’ by support after E. coli recall of Qualicum Spice cheese

Most Read