Ladysmith resident Sam Rozell’s family was living in the two-storey home that was destroyed in a fire on Monday morning. (Don Bodger/Black Press)

Ladysmith woman fundraises for sister, family left homeless by Chemainus fire

A Ladysmith woman is raising money for family members left homeless after a devastating fire on Stz’uminus First Nation land near Chemainus on Monday.

Sam Rozell’s older sister Amanda, brother-in-law, two adult nephews and niece as well as the woman’s boyfriend were all living in the two-storey home.

“They didn’t have house insurance so they’re going to need to start from scratch,” Rozell said Wednesday. “They’re going to have to live with another family member for the time being until they figure out how to get the funds to find another home.”

A total of 17 firefighters from Chemainus, Crofton and Ladysmith all responded to the scene on Waynes Road shortly after the call went out at approximately 11:20 a.m. on Monday.

RELATED: Massive Monday morning house fire destroys Chemainus home

The fire had fully engulfed the home even before crews arrived on scene.

“The whole top floor was on fire,” said Chemainus Fire Chief Al Irwin. “All the top windows had fire coming through it.”

Five of the occupants of the home were inside at the time and all managed to escape without injury along with the dog.

The family is currently staying at a motel in Chemainus and Rozell said her sister is still very emotional when discussing the incident.

“They are still in shock and disbelief,” she said. “My nephew went back there yesterday and brushed through the outer perimeter and was able to salvage a birth certificate, his wallet, just a couple of minor things.”

Stz’uminus First Nation has provided the family with three meals a day until Friday and have also paid for the room at the motel.

A meeting was set to take place on Wednesday to see how the band might provide further assistance going forward.

In the meantime, Rozell has set up a fundraising page where people can donate: https://www.gofundme.com/amanda-gibson-house-fire-recovery

The family is planning to move in with an uncle near the site of their home while they make plans on how to move forward.

“My sister was talking about wanting to try and afford a used mobile home so hopefully once the debris is all clean they can possibly have something small in because they don’t want to move far away,” she said.

Several bags of clothes have already been donated but anyone else interested donating essentials can contact Rozell at 250-245-8638.

Just Posted

North Cowichan councillor’s proposal for regional control of forests gets nod at UBCM

Recommendation from North Cowichan councillor Rob Douglas now goes to province

Drivesmart column: Driving with obstructed vision

Fully 80 per cent of the information that we need to drive safely comes through our eyes.

Marked improvement for women’s rugby squad

Gudmundseth scores four as Cowichan edged by Westshore

Robert Barron column: Cell phone rules in cars are clear as mud

She was not actively using her cell at the time

Andrea Rondeau column: Flood of letters to the editor

Some newspapers struggle to get people to send in letters to the editor.

VIDEO: Langley woman’s security camera records its own theft

Langley family discovers early morning grab was recorded

Canadian Snowbirds plane crashes before air show in Atlanta

Pilot lands safely after ejecting from jet

Share crash data, private insurers tell David Eby, ICBC

B.C. monopoly makes drivers retrieve their own records

B.C. VIEWS: Wolf kill, not backcountry bans, saving caribou

B.C.’s largest herds turn the corner from extinction

Pearson nets shootout winner as Canucks clip Flyers 3-2

Vancouver picks up second straight home win

Map on Elections Canada website sends Nanaimo-Ladysmith voters to landfill

Address for polling station correct, but Google Map address differs

BC Children’s Hospital launches 2 new virtual care sites bringing total to 19 across province

Provincial initiative allows pediatric patients to see health specialists through video

‘Wham-bam out the door’: Surrey man’s front yard left ruined by scamming landscaper

Resident warns neighbours to be careful of door-to-door salesmen

Most Read