Capt. Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, investigates a house fire on Ney Drive on Friday. Firefighters have determined the blaze started accidentally, but have not publicly released its cause. (CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin)

Lamps for pet cages started fire that destroyed north Nanaimo house

Fire broke out Friday at 1:45 a.m. on Ney Drive

Everyone got out safely, but a fire in north Nanaimo has displaced six people.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue was called to the 4900 block of Ney Drive at about 1:45 a.m. Friday morning to find a house fully engulfed in flames.

There was a family of four living in the upstairs part of the house and a couple in the downstairs suite, all of them were renters and none had tenants’ insurance, though the homeowner was insured, said Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Capt. Ennis Mond, head of Nanaimo Fire Rescue’s fire and loss prevention division, said he had determined the fire was started accidentally by two heating lamps that were being used to help keep pets warm in a cage.

“The cause was two heating lamps for pets in cages and that’s as simple as that,” Mond said.

Two guinea pigs and a pet rabbit died in the resulting fire.

He said the home had working smoke alarms that activated and he credited those with helping everyone get out safely.

“The people upstairs, for sure,” Mond said.

Mond said all tenants had either gone to stay with friends and family or were given temporary accommodations through Nanaimo’s emergency social services program.

“None of the tenants are insured,” he said.

Late Friday morning, crews returned to snuff out a hot spot in the roof.

READ ALSO: Two cats die in house fire in Nanaimo

READ ALSO: Man suffers burns, dog dies in fire in Nanaimo



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Valley Seniors volunteers show some simple generosity in Duncan

They have chosen the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Cowichan Valley for $1,000 cheque

Upgrade project on Chemainus Road set to begin

Busines community concerned about disruptions

Burning season has arrived in the Cowichan Valley Regional District, but beware of bylaws

It’s officially burning season in the Cowichan Valley Regional District, as residents… Continue reading

Francophone parents hoping to set up a French school in the Valley

Their children have a right to be educated in French, these parents say

Second young woman dies after rollover crash near Williams Lake

‘Someone’s going to get her heart, which is awesome, because she has the best heart in the world’

Google searches for ‘how to vote’ surge on Election Day

Interest spikes despite social media campaign by Elections Canada

Union says Western Forest Products refuses to budge from ‘unreasonable concessions’

According to a press release, both parties met on Oct. 16, 18, 19, and 20.

Alberta man pleads guilty, fined for hunting without a licence in North Island

It’s the responsibility of each hunter or angler to know whether they are considered a B.C. Resident.

B.C. mayor apologizes for removal of Queen’s portrait from council chambers

‘I prefer to be inclusive of the many aspects of our history’

Alcohol a possible factor in crash that killed 17-year-old girl near Williams Lake

A pickup truck left the road and rolled over on Highway 20 on the weekend

Rare bird spotted in Victoria draws enthusiasts from across the continent

It’s the first time a yellow-browed warbler has been reported on the mainland of North America

B.C. woman must pay $1,000 after unleashed dog bites another

Owner should never have left Bibi unattended, tribunal member wrote

Most Read