Kenneth Fenton being pursued by the media after a recent court appearance. (File photo)

Man who killed Mountie likely to see more jail time in separate crash

Kenneth Fenton is already serving four years for death of RCMP Const. Sarah Beckett

Kenneth Fenton, the man who killed RCMP Const. Sarah Beckett in a car accident in April, 2016, could see an additional 12 to 18 months added to his four-year prison sentence for that death in a separate car accident more than a month later.

Fenton pleaded guilty last month to impaired driving resulting in bodily harm and failing to stop for police in an incident that occurred on May 22, 2016, that sent a female passenger to hospital with serious injuries.

After a short police chase, a truck was found in a ditch on that day northwest of Victoria.

RELATED STORY: MAN WHO KILLED MOUNTIE PLEADS GUILTY IN SECOND CRASH

The truck’s passenger claims Fenton was speeding from the police and driving under the influence when he veered the vehicle, which belonged to the passenger, into a ditch at high speeds.

In a Duncan courtroom on July 3, Crown prosecutor Steven Richards asked that Fenton serve 18 months in addition to his four-year sentence for Beckett’s death, which he is currently serving, while defence lawyer Dale Marshall asked for an additional 12 months.

Provincial court judge Lisa Mrojinski decided that the date for Fenton’s sentencing will be announced on July 10.

Fenton sat in court wearing red prison clothes during the hearing listening to both lawyers’ arguments.

Richards gave Fenton credit for accepting responsibility and pleading guilty to the charges, thus avoiding a trial.

But he said Fenton was well above the legal limit for alcohol, failed to stop for police, and sped at excessively high speeds, putting himself and others in jeopardy.

“As well, this accident happened just six weeks after the incident in which Officer Beckett was killed,” Richards said.

“He bears a high degree of moral culpability so a sentence of less than 18 months would be insufficient.”

Marshall said Fenton spent five days in the hospital after the accident with a serious head injury and has no recollection of the crash.

He said Fenton pleaded guilty to the charges because he could not deny the allegations although he could not remember the incident.

Marshall said one of the young people Fenton and the woman in the truck were talking to just before the crash said that the woman drove away, and the police couldn’t identify who was driving the truck during the pursuit.

“The woman admits she was drinking that day as well, so her credibility comes into question,” Marshall said.

“These factors should be taken into consideration here.”

The case is now in the hands of Mrojinski.

Fenton pleaded guilty in May, 2017, to two criminal counts in the death of 32-year-old Beckett.

Beckett died when the marked police car she was driving was struck by a pickup truck driven by Fenton in the Victoria suburb of Langford.

Fenton’s sentencing hearing in Duncan was continued. A date to conclude proceedings will be set next Tuesday.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

T.W. Paterson column: ‘One Hundred Dollar Man’ gave us provincial park

“…the more pious they look, by jingo, that’s the time to watch the blighters.”

Sangha goes to trial in Duncan in confinement case in January

The case of Kehar Garry Sangha is scheduled to go before the… Continue reading

Off-duty Mountie runs into trouble at Maple Bay mailbox

One of the large Canada Post doors that covered the front of the mailbox had been opened

Tonya Kilmer fighting to block release of coroner’s report

Fears revealing exactly how Ben Kilmer took his life will have traumatic affect on her two children

VIDEO: 5 of the best fathers in film

From Finding Nemo to Taken, here are some great on-screen dads

Coming up in Cowichan: Spend Father’s Day fishing, or head to the BC Forest Discovery Centre

Deadline coming to register for class reunion The Cowichan Secondary Class of… Continue reading

Victoria man wins record-breaking Human Rights Tribunal case

After 14 years Chris Hughes won a case after facing discrimination for depression

Toronto Raptors and their diverse team celebrated worldwide

Team is made up of players from the U.S., Canada, Cameroon, the Republic of Congo, and Spain

B.C. RCMP launches pilot to test reporting non-serious crimes online

Four cities will soon be able to report theft under $5,000, lost of stolen items to police online

Green Party calls Salish Sea ‘free parking lot for world’s largest container ships’

MP Elizabeth May rails against Port of Vancouver, Transport Canada and impact on local environment

VIDEO: Pickup truck smashes into Vancouver Island home

No injuries reported in Friday morning incident

Trial begins in case of young Canadian couple killed in 1987

William Earl Talbott II was arrested last year and charged with aggravated murder

Convicted B.C. child abductor Randall Hopley back in custody, 6 months since release

Correctional Services Canada could not provide further details due to privacy concerns

Most Read