One man out of home after Kiwanis Village fire

A fire displaced one man from his home at the Duncan Kiwanis Village on Day Road Monday evening.

A fire displaced one man from his home at the Duncan Kiwanis Village on Day Road Monday evening.

“He’ll be out of there for a while,” Duncan fire chief Mike McKinlay said.

It was at the same complex but in a different building than a devastating fire that affected significantly more residents in 2010.

By comparison, McKinlay noted, this one was just a small fire in a single room and with the exception of the fellow that was living in the specific unit, residents were allowed to return to their suites.

The fire chief said it began in the main living room/kitchen/dining room area of the open-concept unit.

The damage to the room and its contents will keep the resident away for some time.

“A single guy lives in there,” McKinlay said. “An older retired gentleman.”

Multiple fire trucks, police and paramedics all attended the scene.

“We only actually needed one pump and then we had 22 firemen,” McKinlay said.

All told, fire crews were in and out in just over an hour.

“Everyone was back in by 6:30 p.m.,” the chief said of the other residents.

Until then, residents of the building affected were welcomed into the games room of a neighbouring building and kept warm and fed until they were allowed to return home.