A destroyed building on the Ashcroft Reserve after the 2017 Elephant Hill wildfire. Photo: Barbara Roden

VIDEO: Prosecutors to consider charges in human-caused 2017 B.C. wildfire

RCMP forwards results of its investigation into Elephant Hill fire to Crown counsel

The RCMP have concluded their investigation into the 2017 Elephant Hill wildfire and turned the file over to the BC Prosecution Service.

“This was a complex file that took the time necessary given the scope and scale of the investigation,” RCMP Staff. Sgt. Janelle Shoihet tells The Journal.

“We will continue to address any additional requirements they may have as part of the charge assessment process.”

Shoihet says that process is also a complex one.

“They have to review all the investigative findings and see what charges would be appropriate. We’re committed that if they need further information, we’ll provide that as they move forward.”

Shoihet says the case is the largest wildfire investigation she can remember.

The investigation began when the wildfire, near Ashcroft in the central interior, expanded in size on July 7, 2017.

The fire destroyed more than 200 homes and buildings, forced the evacuation of thousands of people, and burned more than 192,000 hectares. It was not completely contained until late September 2017.

Early on, authorities determined it had been human-caused.

RELATED: ATV use banned in area of Elephant Hill wildfire

READ MORE: Heart-wrenching video pays tribute to Elehpant Hill wildfire crews



editorial@accjournal.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Plenty of heart and lots to love about ‘The Marvelous Wonderettes’

Music and story fits for the show opening on Valentine’s Day at the Chemainus Theatre

Duncan Christian sweeps to junior B girls basketball banner

Michaela Wall leads Chargers past QMS and Quam

Drivesmart column: Parental consent and control of new drivers

A young person’s brain is not fully matured until the age of 25.

Cowichan Piggies play their style of game in Comox

Youngest players get valuable experience

Robert Barron column: Let’s hope the strike is really over

I’m quite curious to see what terms the United Steelworkers agreed to

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

Henrique scores 2 as Ducks soar past Canucks 5-1

Vancouver tumbles out of top spot in Pacific Division

Trudeau cancels Caribbean trip amid pipeline protests across Canada

Protests against Coastal GasLink have disrupted rail service

B.C. VIEWS: Inaction on pipeline protests not a viable response

Columnist Frank Bucholtz on how the Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute got so bad

PHOTOS: Top 10 memories of the 2010 Olympics

Black Press Media’s Jenna Hauck, shares some of her most memorable images of 2010 Winter Games

#FoxForFiver: Support grows in B.C. to put Terry Fox on new $5 bill

Terry Fox’ Marathon of Hope raised money for cancer research

Registration opens soon for BC 55+ Games in Richmond

2020 55+ Games have been officially scheduled for Sept. 15 to 19

Trudeau confers with cabinet ministers as rail blockades continue

The Trudeau government has been criticized for not doing more to end the blockades

Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low

President says safety protocols nationwide are inadequate compared to those in Ontario and other countries

Most Read