Good vet service in Langford, but what if highway shut down?
Our dog Matty made the trip to Waves Veterinary Hospital in Langford due to poisoning this weekend.
After reading in the paper that there were no emergency facilities to treat animals in the Cowichan Valley over the weekend, we knew immediately that we would have to make the trip into Langford. The dog had gotten into some mouldy bread that a house guest had brought into the house. The symptoms of mycotoxin poisoning were almost immediate: heavy tremoring and vomitting. This was about two to three hours after exposure. Hospital treatment was the best course for our pet: failure to do so would probably have led to organ failure, seizures, and eventually death.
I am truly thankful that the story appeared in the paper and that we were informed. Secondly, I am thankful that the facility was open this holiday weekend until midnight. It was very busy there when we arrived.
In the event of a Malahat highway shutdown for any reason, a different outcome would be likely. Then there are also those pet owners for whom transportation over the Malahat might present real concerns. The final outcome for our family was complete pet recovery. The people in Langford were completely competent, demonstrated excellent communication skills being very gracious in all their communications to us through the long weekend.