An informative session on the Trans Pacific Partnership was held on Sunday at Duncan United Church.
A 6,000 page document has something for everybody — but not much for the good of humanity and the planet.
Some worries many readers will share:
• Foreign companies can sue our local and federal governments if our laws hinder their profits. Fracking on a water source could be environmentally unsound, but if we stop it, we will be sued. And for billions of dollars.
• No labelling of bovine growth hormone dairy products or GMO foods will allow foreign companies to feed us whatever they deem profitable.
• Drugs will cost more.
• We will trade with countries who have barbaric laws, such as stoning gays and lesbians to death. They will be given suggestions on how to behave, but no clout to change.
• Countries with poor labour practices and sweat shops will again, be given advice on how to treat their workers, but that is all!
• Foreign companies have a right to bid on local contracts, putting Canadians out of work.
I hope everyone concerned will contact the Trudeau government before they ratify this agreement which they have already agreed to. Time is short!