“We’re constantly reminding women they’re beautiful.”
Sheer Essentials isn’t just a lingerie store. It’s a place to find your fit, and feel good doing it. Owner Michelle Neilson does her best to encourage body positivity and self-love, but every day she meets people struggling against unattainable beauty standards.
“They are so hard on themselves. Whether it’s complaining about deflated breasts after nursing, stretch marks, cellulite or their breast size, they always find something to pick themselves apart about. Some of our cross-dressers have insecurities too.”
With cup sizes AA to N and band sizes 28 to 58, there’s something in store to make everyone look great. Whether you’re picking up swimwear for a winter cruise or want a pair of cozy pyjamas to hunker down through winter storm season, Neilson wants you to feel fabulous doing it.
“I was helping a younger mom the other day with a toddler at home. She came in wearing all black, acting quiet and self-conscious. We encouraged her to try some things outside of her comfort zone, and wow! Just a pop of colour and she lit right up,” Neilson says, “Her posture was more upright. She left like a different woman. She had great features when she came in, but with a smile on her face she was just stunning as she left.”
Visit Sheer Essentials and you’ll be impressed at the range of sizes and styles they carry to serve people with a variety of needs.
“If you’re looking for something specific, we always suggest you ask. What you see isn’t all we have in stock!” Neilson says.
- Mastectomy: Sheer Essentials has swimwear and bras designed to accommodate mastectomy prostheses. “We don’t do prostheses, just bras,” Neilson says. Describe your needs and your existing prothesis, and the staff will find your fit!
- Gender Inclusive: “Since we stock larger back sizes in garments, we do see a few cross-dressers. We’re always happy to help,” Neilson says. Sheer Essentials also carries a wide selection of Saxx underwear with its trademark BallPark Pouch for ultimate comfort.
- Nursing Bras: Sheer Essentials has a range of styles to suit customer’s needs. “Since your body will grow and change through pregnancy and nursing, we always suggest wire-free. Underwire can be uncomfortable when it doesn’t fit perfectly,” Neilson says. Remember to change your bra size regularly through pregnancy. Wearing something too snug can deplete milk supply, and something too big can cause neck and shoulder pain if it doesn’t give enough support.
- Bridal Wear: “We always have stockings and garters, and in the spring we have a bigger selection to get ready for wedding season,” Neilson says.
- Sex Appeal: Don’t forget about classic lingerie! Sheer Essentials carries a little bit of everything, with styles for different shapes and comfort levels. Silk robes, matching bras and panties, and swimwear too!