Three men accused in teen’s murder plead guilty, no parole for 18 years: police

Three accused in teen murder plead guilty: police

VANCOUVER — Police say three men have been sentenced to life with no chance of parole for 18 years after pleading guilty in B.C. Supreme Court to second-degree murder charges in the slaying of a 19-year-old man.

Nicholas Hannon went missing from the Langley, B.C., area in February 2014 and his remains were found in a heavily wooded area near Mission more than a year later.

RCMP say Brad Flaherty, Keith Tankard and Connor Campbell were charged with first-degree murder in September 2015.

Staff Sgt. Jennifer Pound of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the three men pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in court on Monday.

Hannon’s father has said the men knew his son and had been welcomed to the family’s home many times.

The Mounties have previously said they believed Hannon’s death was the result of a confrontation that turned violent.

Pound says a joint sentencing recommendation was made by the Crown and defence on parole eligibility.

The Canadian Press

Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alistair MacGregor column: Standing up for seniors

Across Canada, seniors are scared.

Lake Flashback: Museum preserves future, new hope for a pool, and a murder

Welcome to Lake Flashback. Reporter Sarah Simpson has been combing through old… Continue reading

Cobble Hill man dies in ATV accident south of Nanaimo

Incident happened on backroad Friday night in Nanaimo Lakes area

Drivesmart column: The registered owner is responsible

Have you ever stopped to consider the risk involved in handing your keys over to someone else?

Aquatic Centre renovations starting soon

More space promised for crowded fitness and aquatic areas

VIDEO: Injured bald eagle rescued in B.C. First Nations community

Bird suspected injured in fight, whisked off to Coquitlam rehab

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Toronto Raptors’ Ujiri says conversations about racism can no longer be avoided

Thousands have protested Floyd’s death and repeated police killings of black men across the United States

‘I’m afraid’: Witnesses of wolf attack on senior near Prince Rupert worried about safety

Frank Russ shows where the unprovoked wolf attacked his father

Protesters prepare to rally against racism in front of Vancouver Art Gallery

Rally is in response to the deaths of black Americans and a Toronto woman

Protesters rally against anti-black, Indigenous racism in Toronto

Police estimated the crowd to be between 3,500 and 4,000 and said there was no violence

Feds earmark $1.5M to support recovery of B.C., Indigenous tourism

B.C. money will be split between Vancouver Island and Indigenous tourism

‘We’re sick of it’: Anger over police killings shatters U.S.

Tens of thousands marched to protest the death of George Floyd

Most Read