Skip to content

City of Duncan looking to grant to cover cost of Cairnsmore traffic circle

Federal government would cover 60%, province would pick up the other 40%.
The City of Duncan is applying to the province for a grant that would cover most of the costs of the new Cairnsmore roundabout that is planned the intersection of Government, College and Cairnsmore streets. (File photo)

The City of Duncan is hoping that most of the costs of the new Cairnsmore roundabout, which is now estimated to be a little more than $1.4 million, will be covered by a government grant.

At its meeting on Oct. 19, Duncan’s council voted to apply for a grant from the Canada Infrastructure Program that, if successful, would cover almost $1.3 million of the cost of the roundabout, the first one planned for Duncan.


The federal government would cover 60 per cent of the grant, and the province would pick up the other 40 per cent.

If the grant is approved, the city would only have to pay for some of the sewer and water upgrades that are part of the project, as well as land acquisition costs and any overages in spending that may occur.

“The project will be included in the [city’s] 2021 budget on the condition that the city is successful in acquiring the funding, and will be deferred if the grant application is unsuccessful,” said John Pite, Duncan’s manager of engineering, in a report.

If all goes according to plan, construction of the new roundabout could begin as early as this March, and take three to four months to complete.

The roundabout is to be located at the intersection of Government, College, and Cairnsmore streets, adjacent to the Fishbowl Cafe.


The city has determined that the roundabout is needed to improve traffic circulation and safety at the busy intersection.

In 2013, the city hired the Boulevard Transportation Group to undertake a review and preliminary design of the roundabout, and it was determined at that time that a roundabout would be feasible at the intersection in which the three streets meet.

In 2019, the city and Queen Margaret’s School entered into a memorandum of understanding which included a commitment from the city to grant access to the school from the roundabout to coincide with the school’s ongoing construction and renovation project.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Robert Barron

About the Author: Robert Barron

Since 2016, I've had had the pleasure of working with our dedicated staff and community in the Cowichan Valley.
Read more