Echo Heights plan takes step forward

After lengthy discussion and pleas from residents, North Cowichan council gave the first two readings last Wednesday to a bylaw that will allow residential development in 20 per cent of Echo Heights while preserving the remaining 80 per cent as a park.

Under the bylaw, the 20 per cent would have room for between 51 and 88 units, ranging from detached homes — some with secondary suites or detached carriage houses — to duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes and a 12-unit townhouse.

The next steps for North Cowichan are to hold an information meeting or open house to present the proposal to residents.

“The public can come in and look at the plan and ask questions of staff and get their heads around the concept,” Mayor Jon Lefebure said.

The bylaw will also go to a public hearing, which is required before the bylaw can go to third reading. The details can still be changed in that time.

“It’s not etched in stone until the fourth and final reading,” Lefebure said.

Before the bylaw was read at last Wednesday’s council meeting, several residents, representing a range of groups, took the opportunity to address council on the Echo Heights issue.

Earl Jack, chief of the Penelakut Tribe, whose traditional territory includes Echo Heights, asked council to preserve the entire tract as a park.

“Let us have the land in place as it is,” he said. “You’ll never find another place like it.”

Jack pointed out that there are houses for sale throughout the Cowichan Valley, and wondered if there was a market for more residential space.

“Who are we going to target for these new houses?” he asked.

Kyle McNeil, an articled student at the Environmental Law Centre at the University of Victoria, spoke about the common law doctrine of “dedication and acceptance” under which it could be argued that Echo Heights is a park because it has been used as such for an extended period of time.

“Should council proceed, and that right is proven in court, it could give rise to liability,” McNeil said. “The safest, surest, most conservative course of action would be to preserve the forest as it is.”

Chemainus Residents Association Vice Chair Bernie Jones presented an image of a scale, with the money North Cowichan could raise by selling off part of Echo Heights to developers on one side, and the values of the area — such as ecology, health, tourism and education — on the other.

The value side is losing out, he explained.

“It’s not being allowed to outweigh the money,” he said.

During council’s discussion of the bylaw, Coun. Barb Lines suggested rewriting it so 80 per cent would be protected, and dealing with the remaining 20 per cent later on, but her motion was defeated.

Just Posted

Sarah Simpson
Sarah Simpson column: A shift in perspective can sometimes change everything

Have you even been forced to wake up at 5:30 on a Saturday

Black Press file photo
RCMP seek suspect in Vancouver Island-wide crime spree

Crimes stretched from Deep Bay to Qualicum, Ladysmith, Chemainus and Youbou

North Cowichan’s committee of the whole have rejected staff’s recommendation to limit the use of fireworks to Halloween. (File photo)
North Cowichan rejects limiting fireworks to Halloween

Municipality decides staff recommendation would be unpopular

Things are looking up for Vancouver Island as zero COVID-19 cases have been reported for the first time since October. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Island records zero new COVID-19 cases for the first time since October

For the first time since October, the province is reporting zero new… Continue reading

CVRD Area E director Alison Nicholson, right, hiked two hours to Waterfall Camp at the Fairy Creek watershed along with Comox town councillor Nicole Minion and Comox Valley Regional District director Daniel Arbour to meet with old-growth logging activists on Monday, June 7. (Submitted)
Cowichan Valley regional director visits Fairy Creek protest camps

‘They clearly communicated that they are committed to what they are doing’

A small pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins pass by close to shore in Campbell River June 16, 2021. Still capture from video courtesy of Kimberly Hart
VIDEO: Dolphin sunset captured from Vancouver Island shore

Spectacular setting for view of travelling pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins

Central Okanagan Grade 12 grads are set to get $500 each after a more than $1 million donation from a Kelowna couple. (File photo)
B.C. couple donating $500 to every Grade 12 student in the Okanagan

Anonymous donors identified as Kelowna entrepreneurs Lance and Tammy Torgerson

Rita Coolidge played the main stage at Vancouver Island Musicfest in 2017. (Black Press file photo)
This year’s Vancouver Island MusicFest to virtually showcase beauty of Comox Valley

Returning July 9 through 11 with more than 25 hours of music performances

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

British Columbia’s premier says he’s received a second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. (Twitter/John Horgan)
B.C. premier gets 2nd dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

John Horgan shared a photo of himself on social media Friday afternoon holding a completed vaccination card

A lotto Max ticket is shown in Toronto on Monday Feb. 26, 2018.THE CANADIAN PRESS
No winning ticket sold for Friday’s $70 million Lotto Max jackpot

The huge jackpot has remained unclaimed for several weeks now

Karl and Stephanie Ann Johanson were thrilled to spot a pair of Sandhill Cranes in the Panama Flats this month, an unusual appearance for such birds. (Photo by Stephanie Ann Johanson)
WATCH: Sandhill cranes an unusual, joyful sight in South Island parkland

These birds don’t often touch down on their way between northern B.C. and Mexico

(V.I. Trail/Google Maps)
Now 90% complete, Vancouver Island trail forges new funding parnership

Victoria Foundation takes on Vancouver Island Trail Association; fund valued at $40,000

Most Read