November 24, 1928 – November 25, 2021
With family beside her, Shirley passed peacefully just one day after her 93rd birthday. Predeceased by husband Jack and three siblings, she leaves behind her brother, Larry Bowers (Leslie) of Victoria; daughter, Kerry Weisner (Brian); son, David Work (Carla); grandchildren, Cara, Andrew (Perri), Jordan, Oaken (Georgia), Shayle (Senae), Crystal, Jay, Grace; and 7 great grandchildren.
Born in Humboldt, Saskatchewan, Shirley moved with her mother and youngest brother to Nanaimo, to join her older siblings–the move prompted by the tragic accidental railway death of her father when Shirley was just 14. Not many years later, she met and married Jack. The two went on to raise a small family, living in various locations in the Cowichan Valley and for several years in the early 60’s, in Medford, Oregon.
Shirley will be remembered best for her:
• youthful spirit and inspiring zest for life;
• sense of humour and ability to laugh–even at herself; • ability to uplift, support and encourage others;
• insatiable desire to keep learning;
• snazzy sense of dress and style;
• love of sewing and quilting;
• occasional role as the great “Nana Schwarzenegger!”
Nana, we love and miss you!
Thank you to the staff of Oyster Harbour for their care of Shirley in her last years.Obituary
- Good News
- Submit News Tip
- Trending Now
- Photo Galleries
- Special Sections
- Contact Us
- Site Map