Robert’s column

Robert Barron column: Contaminated soil fight not over

I expect that leaving the soil in place is a huge mistake

In the years I’ve been covering the contaminated soil story at Shawnigan Lake, I don’t recall anyone from that community saying it would be a good idea to leave the soil in place.

Yet, that’s exactly what the government intends to do.

The plan, announced in early July, calls for the approximately 100,000 tonnes of contaminated soil that was trucked to the site on Stebbings Road over the years the old quarry was in operation as soil-storage facility to stay, and to cap it with an additional 70,000 tonnes of industrial grade fill as well.

The government believes the contaminated soil will be sealed in such a way that no additional water can enter and, ultimately, the soil will be so dry that no leachate will be generated; therefore the environment is supposed to be adequately protected.

George Heyman, B.C.’s minister of environment and climate change strategy, has said the plan has been reviewed by the ministry’s technical staff, is based on science and was reviewed and checked by three sets of qualified professionals and firms.

But Bernie Juurlink, a member of the Shawnigan Research Group which has been monitoring the site for years, told me last year that the group’s research suggests that the soil site was leaking unacceptably, and that the base liner for all that contaminated soil is inadequate.

The research by the SRG, and other groups and individuals, had long raised fears in the community that the local drinking water would be contaminated through leaching from the site, where rain seeps into the ground, dissolves chemicals and contaminants in the soil and transports them into underground water supplies.

The watershed in that area serves the approximately 12,000 people of Shawnigan Lake and acts as a backup water supply for various communities in the Cowichan Valley Regional District.

Sonia Furstenau, Cowichan Valley’s MLA who had fought for years to have the site shut down, said it was never an appropriate location for contaminated soil in the first place, and that the soil should not stay there.

“This is a site that is above that drinking watershed, sitting on top of groundwater with surface water wrapping around it,” she said in a previous interview.

It seems to me that the ministry is more motivated by the fact that the removal of the contaminated soil is estimated to be in the range of approximately $11 million, rather than any deep concerns for the environment and the surrounding communities.

I expect that leaving the soil in place is a huge mistake, and it seems that the government has not learned any lessons from the years of lawsuits and demonstrations by the local citizens that were instrumental in shutting the operation down in the first place.

If the government thinks that the decision to leave the soil there will meet only light opposition, they obviously haven’t done their homework.

In fact, a community town hall meeting, hosted by Sierra Acton, the director for Shawnigan Lake at the Cowichan Valley Regional District, to discuss the final closure plan of the site, was held just last night, and it was supposed to attract a big crowd.

We’ll likely be hearing of their plans very soon.

The long saga of the contaminated soil site is not over.

Not by a long shot.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Youth airlifted off Mount Tzouhalem after mountain biking accident

A boy was airlifted to hospital Saturday afternoon following an accident on… Continue reading

Cowichan students kept indoors as police search for man with knife

Staff initiated a Hold and Secure protocol at both Tansor Elementary and École Mount Prevost

Chris Wilkinson column: What drives your life?

The 6 Human Needs according to Tony Robbins

Sports Wall of Fame inducts Class of 2019

Patrick Kay, Brian McKinlay, Ted Webb, curling’s Craigs and the Fuller Lake Flyers are honoured

Dive team searching for missing Cowichan fisherman

Bill Court said family and friends are actively engaged in the search

Bye bye Bei Bei: Giant panda born in U.S. zoo heads to China

Panda heads back to China as part of cooperative breeding program

B.C. man gets life with no parole until 2042 for murder of Belgian tourist near Boston Bar

Sean McKenzie pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of 28-year-old Amelie Christelle Sakkalis

Salvation Army kettle campaign targets $200,000 for Island residents in need

Goal is to raise $250,000 this year for Vancouver Island residents needing support

‘Very disrespectful’: B.C. first responder irked by motorists recording collisions on cellphones

Central Cariboo Search and Rescue deputy chief challenges motorists to break the habit

Daily cannabis linked to reduction in opioid use: B.C. researchers

Researchers looked at a group of 1,152 people in Vancouver who reported substance use and chronic pain

Port Alberni rallies for mill workers

Fundraisers helping ease the sting of five months without work

Island student lobbies school board for dress code consistency

Jaylene Kuo contacted school trustees after seeing dress guidelines at brother’s school

Bids down, costs up on Highway 1, B.C. independent contractors say

Rally protests NDP government’s union-only public construction

Members of little people community applaud change to drop ‘midget’ term

‘It’s not about sensitivity,’ says Allan Redford, the president of the Little People of Canada

Most Read